Monday 17 April 2023

At Last, Progress

For the first time in a long time, I’m finally starting to see progress on the scale again. As I mentioned briefly in my last post, I’ve drastically reduced my drinking, and of course, that has meant less calories.

When I first started drinking regularly in 2016, I was sitting at around 42-45kg (92-99lbs, BMI 12.1-13.0) Within a year, I’d gained a whopping 20kg.

Since then, I’ve bounced around the mid-60s (roughly BMI 19), with no real consistent, long-lasting change. The past 7 years have been a constant struggle as the calories from alcohol continued to pile up.

In January, I was sitting around 66kg (145lbs, BMI 19.1). Since the reduction of alcohol in late January/early February, it's started creeping back down. As of this morning, I weighed in at 61.6kg (135.5lbs, BMI 17.8)

It’s not a lot, and some days it feels like nothing, but it’s the most consistent progress I’ve had since I started drinking, albeit slow. Each week, my ‘average weight’ has been slowly edging down.

I’d love break back into the 50s for my 30th birthday at the end of the month, but even if I don’t make it in time, I know I’ll get there soon. I can taste it. And it’ll be my first time below 60kg since 2016.

* * *

As for the drinking itself, I’m drinking less than I ever have. I’ve been on a new medication for just over a year now, which I do think has eventually helped. At the start of 2022, I was drinking 20-25 standard drinks a day, with and occasional day or two off per month. That was probably my worst point, in the first year or so after losing mum. By the end of 2022, I was down to 10-15 drinks a day, with usually 2 days off each week.

Something changed around the end of January. I had my first 2-day ‘dry streak’ for the first time in five years (excluding hospital admissions). It was entirely on a whim, just wondering if I could do it, after having a few days where I'd only have a handful of drinks, but stop after a couple of hours and make a cup of peppermint tea instead. Once I managed that, things became a bit easier. Soon I was having 3 days, 4 days, 5 days without drinking. At the end of March, I had my first 6-day dry streak, which turned into a 10-day streak.

Before this, I can’t remember the last time I had more than 2-3 dry days in a week, at best, and never consecutively. Now, I’m only drinking once or twice a week. I do still usually drink quite a bit when I do drink, but overall, the reduction has been dramatic. In March, I only drank six times. That’s something I never thought I’d be able to say.

I always think it’ll be amazing, but in reality, the experience is dismal at best, catastrophic at worst. It just doesn’t make me happy anymore. And the more I reduce it, the easier it gets. Nothing compares to seeing actual progress, numbers dropping, and the feeling of my clothes becoming looser, or my ring sliding down my finger as I wash my hands. Once I started seeing actual progress, it made it so much easier to avoid the alcohol (and the calories it contains), even when things get rough.

Will I become fully sober? Will I be able to moderate, able to have a glass of wine without finishing off the bottle, and opening a second? Only time will tell.  

* * *

Through it all, there have been challenges.

11 months ago, I finished packing up all of my late mum’s belongings. It went into storage, to wait until I had a bigger place. Two months ago, I was finally able to get everything back. Not only boxes upon boxes, containing a lifetime of memories, but also some furniture.

It’s been a strange feeling. While it’s, in a way, comforting to be surrounded by her things, it’s also been a bizarre mix of sadness. It was a kind of reality check, that she really is gone.

In the first few days, I would find myself with a sense of confusion, like I wasn’t in my own home, but hers. Especially in the lounge room, which now seems like a copy-paste of the family home.

I’ve had trouble dealing with all the complicated feelings. I was worried that having mum’s belongings around might trigger a major backslide in my drinking, but it hasn’t. Instead, I’ve been dealing with it more like a ‘normal person’. Sitting with the depression. I haven’t turned immediately to drinking. I haven’t had a welfare check called since Christmas. No major overdoses.

It’s meant a lot of days curled up on the couch, in the dark, feeling deeply uncomfortable as I wait for the day to end. I spent the first few weeks sleeping on the couch, her couch, the couch from home. I think I’m finally starting to pull out of it, managing to work parts of my usual routine back into my day-to-day life. But some days, the grief just gets to me, and I return to my couch cocoon.

* * *

Much love to everyone out there in our little community. This place has been my one constant over so many years, through thick and thin. It might be a bit quieter than it used to be, as life comes along and people change, but I still wouldn’t trade it for the world.


Roses blooming in the backyard of my new house


xxBella

9 comments:

  1. Hello dear,
    lovely to hear from you. I'm happy to read that you are settled in your home, and the roses look awesome.
    Sending lots of love your way
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning roses!!!😍 I just love roses.
    I'm so glad you've cut down your alcohol. I don't want to be a wowser but alcohol isn't good. It does a lot more than just damage the liver I am a one drink & no more kinda gal nowadays.

    If having your mum's things around helps then great. If it was too triggering you'd have to think about that deeply. Personally I'm not sure if that would work for me or not. My old man had furniture which I ended up with but I gave it away . If I liked what he had I would have kept a few pieces, but it was a different emotional landscape to yours.

    I'm glad you aren't rushing the grieving process. Grieving is important and necessary!!

    Love always,
    Shelby

    PS would like to hear about your new place. What do you like about it? Do you feel safe there?



    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I forgot to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 😊 And many happy returns. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey my 1st post disappeared. I wonder if i wrote something wrong. Anyway just checking in ,

    Shelby x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! Apparently it got automatically marked as spam. I didn’t even get a notification, but just found and restored it. I’ll have to keep an eye on that. Let me know if it happens again!

      Thankfully I do feel safe here, although it took a while to settle in. For the most part, I’m just loving the extra space after being in such a tiny cramped unit. I thought I’d really enjoy having a backyard, but unfortunately even that is difficult agoraphobia-wise these days.

      Hope you’re doing well <3

      xxBella

      Delete
  5. I'm pretty good. Trying hard to become more loving, more confident and trying hard to accept my life choices from the past and not resort to blaming....in short I just want to be happy in the moment. I had a friend die from cancer (there's that word again 🥺) recently and it made me realise life is short and I had better crack on with living. I seem to recall you had an armchair on a verandah you liked? Maybe you should recreate that to get more from your outdoor space. X thinking of you

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bella! We have never spoke directly but I have been following your journey for about ten years now. I check in every 4-6 months hoping for an update. I just want you to know how proud I am of you and how much growth I’ve seen in you over the years. You are so strong. I hope so much that you find peace.
    Sending hugs,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bella,
    How are you ?
    We haven't heard in a while.
    Personally I've been busy with my stuff, some good some bad. I'm reading the 4 Agreements. I think I like it. I tried reading it in the past but I don't think I was ready then. Hope to hear soon xxxxxxxx Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sent an email to you, looking forward to hearing how things are there. X

    ReplyDelete