I started planning these at the end last year, at the same time I started making the aprons. At the moment, nothing in life is quick. Eight months later, and the parcel arrived in the US earlier this week, and I can finally share what I've been working on.
I'm a little obsessed with the concept of sailor dresses, and this pattern was perfect for one. It took me forever to decide on just which color combination I would use. There are so many options with blue, white, red, different amounts of stripes in different places... But ultimately this is the one I liked the most, and will one day use as a basis for the me-size sailor dress I've had the pattern sitting around for for years.
Finding fabric is never easy these days, either. I have to find what I think I'm looking for online, and mum picks it up for me. I was lucky enough to be at Lincraft in Warrnambool before Christmas, where I picked up the perfect fabrics for the blue dress, along with the bulk of the supplies for the aprons I made, but nothing for the pink dress. I must've bought 3-4 'pinks' and 3 'whites' before I found the perfect baby pink pin dot print, and a lovely soft collar fabric.
Do not even ask how many new buttons I have in my collection that ultimately didn't fit the bill.
For now, I think I need to get back to a few projects I've left unfinished and get started on that pile of repairs before I start anything else new.
Anyway, here they are!
The colors didn't turn out quite right in the photos, but they've very generic navy blue and baby pinks. That's one bonus to usually sewing all black - you don't have to worry too much about lighting in photos.
Please excuse the loose threads/cat hair/wrinkles. I did go over it before taking photos, not that you'd know it by looking.
I'm really in love with how neatly this hem turned out. I finished the raw edge with a narrow rolled hem, then slipstitched it behind the white bias binding.
(apologies for the photo spam)