Sunday 14 April 2013

Polished nails and pills galore

It's been getting colder recently, and when it comes time for dinner, I just want anything warm, and easy to get.
Today, mum helped me make a big ol' batch of soup. It's lamb, barley, lentils, peas, carrot, onion and potato. And it is delicious. Shock horror, I'm actually leaving the meat in it (about 33g per cup). For the past few years, my soups have been confined to veggie-based, and whenever I made this soup I'd make the broth, take out all the meat, and cool and skim the broth to continue with the soup. Mum's made it since I was young, and it weighed up to 178 calories per cup/250g/serve, with meat. For me, it's pretty heavy for a soup. But all in all, it's a healthy, easy and light-ish dinner.

I chickened out of the Kiev on Thursday night. I felt so ill, I was in tears. I feel worse as the day gets on. I didn't get around to making my pilaf. Not wanting to risk vomiting, but needing food with my meds, I ended up eating about 2/3 cup of plain rice with a drizzle of soy sauce. Another day under 800. However, my Kiev is cut into portions in the freezer, awaiting to be reheated for the next encounter. The past two days, I've made it closer to 900. Days filled with guilt and calorie-dense foods like vintage cheddar, muesli bars, and homemade curry; intended to keep portion sizes down. I'm actually bloated today. Ugh.

In health news; the infections are really knocking me down. I'm on a 10 day course of antibiotics, so hopefully they'll start helping soon. My fever and headache are under control, thanks to ibuprofen and paracetamol, though my cough is still horrible. By the end of the day, my cough has gotten the better of me, and I'm exhausted and ache from head to toe. My lungs and heart feel tired from working far too hard. I'm on so many different medications at the moment, it's crazy. I'm taking 16 pills a day, between painkillers and antibiotics and regular meds. Using inhalers 6-8 times a day, and ointment for my skin twice a day. My brother's suggested I add up the total milligrams I'm having between them all, and I'm nearly tempted to.

The skin around my fingernails has been looking a lot better this past week or two, even before I saw the GP, though they were still infected. Several of them are no longer raw/open wounds, but still swollen and inflamed. Anyway, this means I've been able to put nail polish on a some of them for the first time in nearly a year. Both thumbs are butchered, and some on my right hand aren't so great, but the ones that are painted look good! I'm hoping it'll encourage me a little to stop picking at them so much. Sorry they aren't sparkly; I didn't have the patience to use a proper polish so I used a quick-dry.

(That's my late grandmother's ruby & diamond ring. After I inherited it, I had it reset in white gold instead of the original yellow gold. It never leaves my finger. On a good day, my hair and nails match the rubies.)


xxBella

8 comments:

  1. Rubies must be your stone. :) mine is turquoise. I have a ring and both my nose rings are real turquoise. I love real stones. It's beautiful.

    Can I hug you? Just a huge bear one? Because you're doing really well and I know it's hard but keep going okay? I lobe you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing amazing Bella coping with all this illness
    Try to keep warm and comfortable

    Your ring is beautiful and all the more because it means so much to you

    I am always just an email away

    Love you lots dearest x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh please feel better soon... I know you're going through a tough time with that cough and such but please hang in there <3
    Your nails look darling and your ring is gorgeous! <3
    Hugs and Kisses <3
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fingers look great, well done :)
    My stone is ruby as well. I have a ruby ring that I got for my confirmation that I never take off either. Yours is beautiful.
    I'm glad that you're on all these antibiotics, but I know how they can leave you feeling worn out. Just stay strong, you'll be feeling better soon.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your nails look fabulous (along with the ring too!). I'm too lazy to ever do my nails, and when I do the polish barely lasts a week. That soup sounds delicious, especially when you're cold! If I'm not mistaking, it's fall in Australia? Your weather is getting colder and the weather where I'm at is getting warmer, so I tend to reach for the cold things!

    I hope you get over your infections soon. Sixteen pills a day? Holy crap...well, hopefully those antibiotics get to working soon because it always sucks being sick. Right now I just have a cold/sinus infection and I feel like a few different types of crap! Weird how something so small can make your whole body feel awful. Take care and I hope your week goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo pretty picture! <3 I love that color... it's gorgeous!

    It sounds like you're making small steps (which... well, I'm no medical professional, but I'd imagine it's a good thing). And you really shouldn't stress yourself out too much when your body is trying to fight off an infection, even with the help of antibiotics. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Bella, I'm sorry to hear you are still, ill I hope you feel better soon. It really is a good thing that your intakes have been a little higher the past few days, you are doing great :)
    I have been eating a lot of soup as well, I've been eating the same batch of vegetable and lentil soup for 3 days and have heaps left.. it's just easier.
    What a beautiful ring, so pretty. Take care sweetie <3
    Alice xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's a beautiful ring.
    Good job leaving the meat in the soup! And for eating more than usual. It's a step in a good direction.
    And especially amazing since you're feeling so ill. I hope you get better soon and that you keep working hard :)

    ReplyDelete