Sunday 21 October 2012

Recipe: 99% Fat Free Oven-Fried Potato Chips!

Hey guys. I know I don't post many recipes, though I have a massive list of ones to type up and share. This is one that I absolutely love and can't not share. 99% Fat Free Potato Chips/Fries. I know, I know - food cooked in oil is always scary. But trust me on this one, you won't regret it! It uses minimal oil - less than 2 grams of fat in the recipe - and using olive oil means that there's barely any saturated fats. They're very simple and healthy - lovely with a plain fillet of white fish and a big ol' pile of salad.

99% Fat Free Oven-Fried Potato Chips - 160 calories

Ingredients

  • 200g raw, white potato (medium-sized, with skin)
  • 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (I use Bertolli)
  • Salt and pepper, or other herbs & spices as desired

Method

  • Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius (390 Farenheit). Begin by washing and drying the potato, removing any blemishes or black spots.
  • Slice the potato lengthways to desired thickness (I like roughly 10-15mm). Cut the slices into chip shapes.
  • In a bowl, toss the potato chips in 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil with S&P, or whichever herbs & spices you desire. I find this easiest to do with a small pair of tongs.
  • Place the chips in a single layer on a baking tray, lined with baking paper to prevent sticking, and pop it in the oven.
  • Bake at 200 C (390 F) for 30-45 minutes. Then, turn chips once, reduce the oven to 180 C (350 F), and bake for another 30 minutes.


And there you have it - low fat oven fries! It's barely any fat, but it's enough to give them a lovely colour and flavour.

You can also most definitely roast potatoes (or other vegetables) using this method. They are really just roasted potatoes in chip-shape, the only thing special about my recipe is the minimalistic amount of oil. I weigh the potato after I've cut it into chips, and you can definitely peel the skin off before cooking if you want. The key to remember is: 1/4 tsp oil per 100g potato, and it can be scaled up or down as needed. Raw white potato, with the skin on, comes in at 70 calories per 100g, and each 1/4 tsp of oil is 10 calories and 1g fat.

Healthy Fish & Chips
I like to serve these with a 3-4oz plain hoki fillet and a big pile of salad. You can pop the fish in the oven with the chips for approx. 20-30 minutes at the end, and there's dinner! The whole meal comes in under 250 calories. 


Happy Cooking!

xxBella




2 comments:

  1. Wow this looks amazing! Definitely gonna try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fat-free, and low fat food at grocery stores with nutritional facts at http://healthygrocery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete