Vegan Latkes - 186 calories (calories for whole recipe)
- Potato, grated (raw 200g)
- Carrot (or other vegetable), grated (approx. 25g)
- Onion, chopped or grated, 2 tbsp
- 1 heaped tsp NoEgg, mixed with 2 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper
- Chives, parsley, rosemary, or other desired herbs
- 1 tsp (5g) low-fat spread, for frying (I use Weight Watcher's Canola Spread)
- Begin by washing and drying the vegetables. I always leave the skin on, though you can peel it off now if desired.
- Using a hand grater, grate/shred the vegetables into a bowl. It is always a good idea to dry the grated potato to remove excess moisture - squeezing it between paper towel works well for me.
- Mix the grated vegetables with NoEgg and seasonings. Stir well to combine.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat low-fat spread over medium heat. Once melted, add large spoonfuls of the grated vegetable mixture, pressing them to form into pancake shapes.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes, or until browned. Use an egg slide to flip them over, and cook for approx. another 5 minutes. When the top of the latkes is soft to touch and the edges are browned, they are done.
I weigh all of my produce raw, and in this recipe I weigh them after grating and drying them. I use frozen chopped onion for convenience's sake. Again, you can scale it up or down as needed, using 1 heaped tsp NoEgg per 200g of raw potato. You can skip other vegetables all together if you wish, and just have potato latkes.
Using Weight Watcher's Canola Spread and Orgran NoEgg, the latke base comes to about 30 calories. Apart from that, it's only the vegetables.
I promise I'll get on to posting some recipes for my 90 Calorie Cupcakes and low-fat Scones and such soon, but for now it's just potato recipes - sorry!