Sunday 21 October 2012

Recipe: Low-Fat Vegan Latkes

Another recipe! Again with the potatoes. Latkes, normally, are grated potato mixed with a beaten egg and fried in butter. This is my healthier version. This recipe's feature is Orgran's NoEgg - a powdered vegan egg replacer. I'm not vegan, or even vegetarian, though I know a lot of you guys are. However, NoEgg is a staple in my pantry for it's convenience and low calories. One heaped teaspoon (equivalent to one egg) is 9 calories, all carbohydrate (no fat or protein). I use it in all of my baking, and it's amazing in this recipe, too. This recipe (200g potato) gets me about four decent-sized latkes, and I can definetely make a meal out of it. Any vegetables can be used, though potato is always a good base.

Vegan Latkes - 186 calories (calories for whole recipe)

Ingredients

Vegetables
  • Potato, grated (raw 200g)
  • Carrot (or other vegetable), grated (approx. 25g)
  • Onion, chopped or grated, 2 tbsp
Latke base
  • 1 heaped tsp NoEgg, mixed with 2 tbsp water
  • Salt and pepper
  • Chives, parsley, rosemary, or other desired herbs
  • 1 tsp (5g) low-fat spread, for frying (I use Weight Watcher's Canola Spread)

Method

  • Begin by washing and drying the vegetables. I always leave the skin on, though you can peel it off now if desired.
  • Using a hand grater, grate/shred the vegetables into a bowl. It is always a good idea to dry the grated potato to remove excess moisture - squeezing it between paper towel works well for me. 
  • Mix the grated vegetables with NoEgg and seasonings. Stir well to combine.
  • In a non-stick frying pan, heat low-fat spread over medium heat. Once melted, add large spoonfuls of the grated vegetable mixture, pressing them to form into pancake shapes.
  • Cook for 5-10 minutes, or until browned. Use an egg slide to flip them over, and cook for approx. another 5 minutes. When the top of the latkes is soft to touch and the edges are browned, they are done.

I weigh all of my produce raw, and in this recipe I weigh them after grating and drying them. I use frozen chopped onion for convenience's sake. Again, you can scale it up or down as needed, using 1 heaped tsp NoEgg per 200g of raw potato. You can skip other vegetables all together if you wish, and just have potato latkes. 

Using Weight Watcher's Canola Spread and Orgran NoEgg, the latke base comes to about 30 calories. Apart from that, it's only the vegetables.

I promise I'll get on to posting some recipes for my 90 Calorie Cupcakes and low-fat Scones and such soon, but for now it's just potato recipes - sorry!


Happy Cooking!

xxBella

6 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of latkes before finding your blog, they look yummy. Hope you are feeling a bit better and not crying as much. Love you little bella boo xx

    (that's your new nickname, because there is a really cute illustrator over here called belle&boo and it is a cute as you. take a look...)

    http://booboobelle.com/

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum makes latkes all the time - though with whole egg and cooked in butter. I hadn't tried them before I realised I could make them with egg replacer and low-fat spread, and what a quick & low calorie meal I could make it.

      I'm feeling a little better at the moment, hanging on for Tuesday when I see my dietician and will have regular weekly appointments again. Still having a lot of panic attacks and crying, but usually not until later in the day which is good. I hope you're feeling a little better too, you're in my thoughts a lot and I hope you're okay.

      They are really cute :) I love the animals - the bunnies especially!

      Love you too, take care xx

      Delete
  2. I love this, is this 186 calories for one? or for the whole plate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole recipe is 186 calories, so they're 40-50 calories each :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god, I love when you post your recipes !
    I'm afraid in France we don't have the noegg mix... Is there anything to replace it ?

    Love youuuu ! I hope you're feeling great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you google "homemade egg replacer" or "homemade egg subsitute", you'll find similar substitutes, I've never tried them but it might be worth a look :) If not, you can always use whole eggs, and I imagine just egg whites would work too for a lower calorie option, but I've only made them with the substitute.

      Hope you're okay sweetie xx

      Delete